We believe it is safe to assume that the majority of us have been guilty of getting caught out in the sun without sunscreen at least a handful of times in our lives. The damage that long and hard exposure to the sun can cause is significant, as we all know, especially after trips to the mountains or the beaches! Getting sunburnt and coming back home to remedy the reddened, darkened skin wherever your body was exposed to the sun would any day be more cumbersome than taking a little time to dab on some sunscreen lotion.
Did you know that wearing sunscreen is the best gift you can give your skin? Sunscreen lotions are formulated to help prevent sunburn, skin cancer, and premature aging. Ensure that the SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of the sunscreen you use is at least thirty. If you spend prolonged hours of the day outside in the sun, opt for a sunscreen lotion of at least SPF 60. If you live in a hot, humid place where you tend to sweat a lot, get a water-resistant sunscreen lotion lest it runs down your face after you sweat.
Now comes the big question. When does one apply sunscreen lotion? Sunscreens work effectively if you apply it 15 minutes before you step out into the sun, ideally before you apply your foundation. Also, contrary to popular belief, wearing a sunscreen lotion does not stop your body from getting Vitamin D from sunlight. It simply protects you against the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun. It is not too late to incorporate a sunscreen lotion into your skincare routine. Here are our recommendations for the five best sunscreen lotions for all skin types.
1. The Body Shop Skin Defence Multi-Protection Lotion – This sunscreen lotion comes with a whopping SPF 50+ and is a unique concoction that protects you from UVA and UVB rays in addition to moisturising your skin.
It is lightweight, non-greasy, and readily absorbed by the skin so that you don’t have to wait forever to begin your makeup routine. This one has quite a cult-following among skin care enthusiasts as it also protects you against the appearance of dark spots and fine lines.
2. Innisfree Daily Sensitive Sunscreen – Another splendid sunscreen lotion with SPF 35 is from Innisfree, a popular Korean brand. If you have sensitive skin, this is one of the best sunscreen lotions for you. It is mild, hypoallergenic and perfect for anybody hesitant to try out a new product.
It is so light that a single cleansing step is all you need to remove this lotion once you are back at the comfort of your home.
3. Laneige Watery Sun Cream – If you have dry skin, you might want to give Laneige Watery Sun Cream a try. It has a lightweight, watery texture that allows it to seep into the skin like butter and leave it feeling soft and supple while giving you all the protection you need from the sun. It is water-resistant, making it the ideal choice for those of us who enjoy spending a lot of time in outdoor pools.
This product also has an SPF of 50+ which is just the cherry on top of all the other goodness it has.
4. The Face Shop Natural Sun Eco Super Aqua Sun Cream – Designed for people who have oily skin, this sunscreen is also non-comedogenic, meaning it is a product that is specifically formulated so that pores are not blocked. This has an SPF of 50+, has a smooth texture, and provides a cooling effect.
5. Ponds Sun Protect Non-Oily Sunscreen – This one is a crowd favourite. It is suitable for people of all skin types and has an SPF of 50. This sunscreen lotion also reduces uneven skin tone, fine lines, and dark spots caused by sun damage.